posted on Monday, July 27, 2015

Vancouver


Rosy weather forecast for my last day arrival in Vancouver set me off for the last long day of cycling with a large smile on my face. Leaving early I enjoyed the last descent from the mountains, over forty kilometres to the town of Squamish. After a coffee break, with trepidation I looked forward to yet another treat, reaching the Pacific. at first a narrow inlet  turned into wider views, the ocean opened up and the road hugged the coast, displaying some of the views I loved on my Oregon and California coastal rides. Along the way I met a German cyclist taking a ferry to Vancouver Island who gave me new ideas for future rides. After meeting some bikers on shiny Harley's and discussing how resistant my little Schwalbe tyres were I set off on the road and hardly covered hundred metres before a huge nail punctured my wheel! I didn't mind, nothing could stop me from reaching my goal anymore.
I cycled slower and slower, torn between the expectation of finally reaching Vancouver and the sadness of coming to terms with the fact that another adventure was drawing to an end. Reached the steep ramp of Lions Gate Bridge it was time to savour the first views of this beautiful city, welcoming me in glorious sunshine. It was also time to congratulate Brontie, this little wonderful bike with its little wheels that can safely take me so far.