posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Malakwa


At dusk all sprinklers were given some well earned rest and I also slept pretty well and by seven thirty, Brontie was all loaded up and ready to tackle the next adventure. A couple of Germans cyclists I had spotted arriving at the campsite yesterday didn't have as much luck...they had reserved one of the very nice cabins lining the main campsite access way. They all looked idyllic and comfortable but they were all plagued by an extreme proximity to the ever present Transcanadian Railway. I believe all those cabins must have served in the old times as the station master house or the station itself! The Canadian transpacific railway is a constant presence along Highway 1, slow never ending trains and loud horn hootings especially at ungodly hours of the night. The poor German's cottage was so close that the train was probably running through their backside balcony. They asked with baggy eyes whether I had slept well and hated me very much when I thanked them and said I did.
I soon got to Revelstoke or Revy as it seems to be called by locals, for a relaxed latte and breakfast. It seemed a very picturesque little town, surrounded by some  really imposing peaks and lots of cafes and bakeries to lose one's time in. The road gently descended and often ran past small lakes. At Three Rivers lake I stopped and watching a family swim was too much of a temptation to resist and I decided it was a good time to take a cooling dip under the hot midday sun. I then checked in at Yard Creek Provincial Park where the hosts Bob and Sandy welcomed me. Sandy later offered her help  stitching the Canadian badge on my hat after realising how much I was struggling in my effort...She disappeared in her luxurious caravan and announced to have completed the task in a worryingly short time; so short in fact that I had to put out my best acting performance, thanking her for the amazing stitching work she had produced while noticing she had done a right mess of it! Still it will do for the rest of the trip and would be plated and flagged alright for the rest of the trip! Soon it was time for bed but not before a bit of CBC radio. The exciting topic of the night involved a heated discussion on  the tragic fate of a million birds in America that each year crash into the many skyscrape's transparent windows. A distressed 'Bird Collision Campaign Manager' called in live having a mighty rant on the evils of glass transparency! Windows shouldn't be transparent anymore she argued...