posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Mcleod Ganj continued...


Started the morning with the best cappuccino and muffin so far in India where I met Heide a german student who was enjoying her last few hours of freedom before starting a Vipassana meditation retreat in a place up the mountain. I have done few retreats myself over the years but this one sounded pretty severe, with not only silence to be maintained the whole time but also no gazing at other people! How would I cope with that one I am not sure...
After the good breakfast and chat I moved on to the Tibetan museum in the temple compounds. This is an interesting exhibition with personal accounts, pictures and movies about the chinese atrocities since the invasion of 1959. What is most striking is that from what I have seen here, despite their condition of refugee and daily struggle to make a living, tibetans really are the most loving and friendly people. I wonder how they can still be so, despite all the injustice and suffering they have and are going through. Their wisdom so great as it must have been lacking in the mind of those who set off to suppress and destroy such a wonderful and rich nation and people. After the museum I had a couple of walks through the woods and around the temple, finally enjoying the warmth of the sun. Tempted to come back in the middle of september as the Dalai Lama will hold a series of public talks over three days. Will see how it all turns up! The evening was most interesting as I spent it in the little French Cafe that at night transforms itself into a small movie theatre. The movie on show was 'Seven years in Tibet' which was very nice to see once more after a few years. What made for the night though was the banana and chocolate cake and the people I met there who had loads of hints about my next visits. A australian young couple had just returned from Ladakh and were so impressed by it that I now really can't wait to get there myself! Also Lynda, an austrian lady who had been in India for two years was full of good suggestions for places to visit and stay in both Manali and Leh. She came to stay six months then decided to throw away her return ticket and stayed ever since! Only here you can hear such stories...