posted on Friday, June 22, 2007

Visit to Agra


Last week I had a chance to spend two days in India. Sure far too short a time to be able to scrape even the surface of this fascinating country. Yet this brief visit almost amplified the shock of seeing for the first time a poverty I never believed could exist. Made me think how lucky I am to have been born in a place where everything is available and abundant. Not that I am any happier than they are; it seemed to me that despite the dereliction of those forsaken lives on the streets of Delhi, despite the hardship they have to endure each day they still had a vitality that was something to behold. I was the one feeling sad, comparing my life to theirs, judging...they were just living it as it was given to them with dignity and more often than not with a smile! A day spent in Agra to visit the Taj Mahal was as usual a great opportunity to take out my camera and take snapshots. The ochre of buildings, the colourful saris, the markets, the mad traffic on the road to Agra were all subjects waiting to be shot. Like this woman walking bare foot on the marbles of the Taj Mahal.

More photos from the trip
.