posted on Monday, June 13, 2005

Afritz am See


After a brief stop to visit Velden I followed the route to Villach that I left to reach Fakersee; an enjoyable ride that confirmed the obvious shortage of either tarmac or civil engineering skills in building mountain roads. The ascent to the lake as well as the following climb to Bad Bleiberg were far steeper than necessary! In Switzerland they would have built train lines going up, cable cars, mighty tunnels and countless switchbacks but this is Austria. Here a banzai no nonsense approach prevails and each mountain roads is a n old gingle: 'did you want to bring your bike up here? Now push!' I brushed along the italian border with strong winds but no stoic birds to be seen. The ride became very pleasant between Treffen and Afritz Am See where the road winds its way up an increasingly narrow valley. I reached the campsite on the lake shore just in time to pitch my tent before the rain started to fall, happy and still dry.