posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005

Bad Gleichenberg


After a hearty austrian breakfast I began the day visiting a bit more of Graz. I stopped first by the Landeszeughaus a stylish palace now hosting a harmoury museum. I limited my visit to the impressive facade of the building before visiting the Dom, Graz neo gothic cathedral. I then began riding along those panoramas that I had admired yesterday from the top of the Schlossberg. By lunchtime I reached Riegersburg a castle whose fame is due to the fact that it was never conquered during the frequent turkish invasions that lasted for centuries. In the 17th century the turkish empire border was only 20 km away. When they invaded the area the only safe escape route for local villagers was to retreat in the castle whose walls could give shelter to 10000 people. The sun had not appeared all day and it got worse when a light drizzle started to hinder my camping plans.