posted on Friday, June 17, 2005

Cavalese


As expected today was the most spectacular day. Despite once more gloomy forecast at the campsite I was blessed by a spot of clear blue sky who seem to follow me throughout the all day. Two famous climbs over 2000 lay ahead the Falzarego and 33 switchbacks ( can we donate some to Austria ) to the top of Pordoi. Both were tough climb with the weight I carried but incredibly beautiful. The Falzarego climb with the towering peak called 'Tofane' right in front of me for the entire route was breath-taking. Views impossible to describe. On top I could also keep up my japanese practice as a group of elderly japanese were gazing at those majestic scenes. The Pordoi ascent a riding legend in italian cycling was great fun as switchbacks and altititude were counted down and marked at each bend. Once you get to number 33 you are a short straight up the 2242 metre of the summit. I then descended following the constant flow of cycling enthusiasts, motor bikers and coaches into Canazei and followed the Fassa and Fiemme Valley reaching Cavalese pretty tired but with memories impossible to erase.