posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Taradeau


I left at 8.30 and cycled along N98 following the most scenic and beautiful part of the coast running from Cannes to St Raphael. Here the road twists along the rocky sea shore tugged between the Mediterrenean and the Massif de l'Esterel a striking mountain range of red rocky peaks rising from forests of fluorescent green pines. This and the intense blue of the sea and sky make for unforgettable images. After St Raphael the coast looses a bit of that magnificence but still makes for an enjoyable ride particularly since often a cycle way veers off and follows parallel to the National Route. After St Maxim I said goodbye to the sea and turned inland towards Grimaud where a bit tired and thirsty on my first real cycling day, I enjoyed a stroll around the ancient ruins of the castle and the typical little alleys of an old provencal village. I then followed D558 that became narrower and after the long climb to La Garde a long descent took me to Vidauban reached through D58 a must for anyone riding around here! A tiny road with hardly any traffic cutting through beautiful hills. I ended this day in Taradeau where the only open campsite in the area is.